America Ferrera, whose full name is America Georgine Ferrera, was born on April 18, 1984, in Los Angeles, California, USA, to Honduran parents. She grew up in the San Fernando Valley and was the youngest of six siblings. America’s parents were originally from Honduras, and her father was a factory worker, while her mother worked as a house cleaner.
From an early age, America showed an interest in acting, and she participated in school plays and community theater productions. She attended Calabasas High School and later enrolled at the University of Southern California, where she studied international relations and theater.
Ferrera’s acting career took off in 2002 when she landed her breakthrough role in the independent film “Real Women Have Curves.” Her portrayal of an intelligent, plus-sized Latina teenager earned her critical acclaim and opened doors for more significant opportunities in the entertainment industry.
However, it was in 2006 that America Ferrera became a household name when she was cast as the lead character, Betty Suarez, in the television series “Ugly Betty.” The show, based on the Colombian telenovela “Yo soy Betty, la fea,” followed the story of a young woman who, despite not conforming to society’s beauty standards, finds success in the fashion industry. Ferrera’s brilliant performance in “Ugly Betty” earned her widespread recognition and numerous awards, including a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and an Emmy.
America Ferrera Net Worth Growth
|Net Worth in 2023||$16 million|
|Net Worth in 2022||$15 million|
|Net Worth in 2021||$14 million|
|Net Worth in 2020||$13 million|
|Net Worth in 2019||$12 million|
|Net Worth in 2018||$11 million|
|Real Name||America Georgina Ferrera|
|Nick Name||America Ferrera|
|Birth Place||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Date Of Birth||April 18, 1984|
|Education||University of Southern California|
|Sexual Orientation||Sexual Orientation|
|Spouse||Ryan Piers Williams|
|Kids||Sebastian Piers, Lucia Marisol|
|Parents||América Griselda Ayes, Carlos Gregorio Ferrera|
|Net Worth in 2023||$16 million|
Career And Awards
- “Real Women Have Curves” (2002): In this independent film, Ferrera played the lead role of Ana Garcia, a young Mexican-American woman struggling with body image issues. Her performance garnered critical acclaim and helped launch her career.
- The films “The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants” from 2005 and “The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2” from 2008 Carmen Lowell, one of four best friends who share a pair of glasses, was represented by Ferrera as magical jeans that fit them all perfectly. The films were successful and contributed to Ferrera’s growing popularity.
- “How to Train Your Dragon” Film Series (2010-2019): In this animated franchise, Ferrera lent her voice to the character of Astrid Hofferson, a strong and skilled dragon rider. The series received widespread acclaim and was a commercial success.
- “Cesar Chavez” (2014): In this biographical film, Ferrera played the role of labor leader and civil rights activist Dolores Huerta. Her portrayal was praised by critics, further showcasing her talent and versatility as an actress.
- “Ugly Betty” (2006-2010): Undoubtedly the highlight of her television career, Ferrera starred as Betty Suarez, a young and intelligent woman who lands a job at a fashion magazine despite not fitting the conventional standards of beauty. Her performance earned her numerous accolades, including a Golden Globe Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and an Emmy Award.
- “Superstore” (2015-2021): Following “Ugly Betty,” Ferrera continued her television success by starring in the comedy series “Superstore,” where she played the role of Amy Sosa, a dedicated and resourceful employee at a big-box store. While she left the show after its fifth season, her performance was well-received by audiences.
Awards and Accolades:
- Golden Globes: Ferrera won the award in 2007 for “Ugly Betty”‘s “Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Comedy or Musical.”
- Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards: She received the SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series for “Ugly Betty” in 2007 and 2008.
- Primetime Emmy Awards: Ferrera won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for her role in “Ugly Betty” in 2007.
- ALMA Awards: She received multiple ALMA Awards for her performances in “Real Women Have Curves” and “Ugly Betty.”
- Imagen Awards: Ferrera was recognized with several Imagen Awards for her work in “Real Women Have Curves,” “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,” and “Ugly Betty.”
Social Media Acount
Top Hit Movies
- “Real Women Have Curves” (2002): This independent film marked America Ferrera’s breakthrough role. She played the lead character, Ana Garcia, a young Mexican-American woman struggling with body image issues while juggling familial and societal expectations. The film received widespread praise and helped establish Ferrera as a talented actress.
- “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” (2005) and “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2” (2008): In these two films, Ferrera portrayed Carmen Lowell, one of four best friends who share a magical pair of jeans that somehow fit them all just right.Both movies were successful at the box office and resonated with audiences, especially young women, for their themes of friendship and empowerment.
- “How to Train Your Dragon” Series (2010-2019): In this animated franchise, Ferrera lent her voice to the character of Astrid Hofferson, a strong and skilled dragon rider and the love interest of the main character, Hiccup. The “How to Train Your Dragon” films were well-received by both critics and audiences, becoming beloved family favorites and box office successes.
- “Cesar Chavez” (2014): In this biographical film, Ferrera portrayed the role of Dolores Huerta, a prominent labor leader and civil rights activist who co-founded the United Farm Workers union. The film delves into the life and struggles of Cesar Chavez and his fight for farmworkers’ rights. Ferrera’s performance received praise from critics, adding to her reputation as a talented actress.
America Ferrera attended various schools in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, California, where she grew up. After completing her high school education, she enrolled at the University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles.
At USC, America pursued a double major in international relations and theater. During her time at the university, she continued to explore her passion for acting and theater by participating in school plays and honing her skills as an actress.
Ferrera’s decision to study international relations alongside theater highlights her interest in global issues and her commitment to understanding and making a positive impact on the world beyond her acting career.